Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Book Excerpt VIII


I thrived on dares. One day a boy named Danny dared me to jump off the roof of the house across the road from the where I lived. Danny was like a little brother to me, but he was a bully and I did not like him hurting my friends. In the winter, when the snow banks were eight feet high, it was easy to jump off this roof; however, this was spring and the roof was probably fifteen to twenty feet above grassy ground. I looked at the distance with dismay, and then I looked at the black-haired boy grinning at me as we stood on that roof. He was telling me that if I went first, he would go next. I was reluctant until he said those three words that always sent any semblance of common sense sailing out into space. He said, “You’re a chicken.”

No comments:

Post a Comment