Friday, August 24, 2012

Hello, in my ongoing research for my next book, I hightailed it down to the Hamilton County records building where I was greeted and helped so graciously by everyone there. I was a realtor for many years and the job included going to the court house to look up deeds, maps, etc.,but it had been several hundred moons since I had done that. It was not long, with the employees help and one wonderful woman doing her own research, before I was remembering, looking, and living in the 1830s and 40s, ohhing and awing about the land prices back then.

Since I wanted to use every minute I had there, I needed to eat lunch somewhere close. They told me to go back to Speculator. I did and stopped at the first place I came to. I walked in and immediately felt at home being surrounded by knotty pine walls. Wow, Adirondacky, I thought. I already liked the atmosphere. Within minutes I was taken to my table. Being without a cup of coffee for at least three hours, I desperately ordered a cup before my meal. She brought it to me within five minutes and it was awesome coffee. Being a coffee connoisseur, I know good coffee and will go out of my way to find it.

I ordered the taco salad, and when it came out, my blue eyes popped wide open because it was big. When I order food, I am a hungry American Adirondack woman, and I want the plate full rim to rim. It was a huge tortilla shell filled, and I mean filled, with chili, cheese, the salad stuff, along with cups of guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. No extra charge; no going back for anything. It was all placed before me and I hungrily ate it all. One more refill of coffee and I was out of there thanking my waitress and the owner for the wonderful service, food and atmosphere of the The Inn at Speculator. I can't wait for next research day, so I can go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment