Friday, August 15, 2014

Morning walk in Long Lake

 I walk every morning two miles with my friend, Joany, or my sister, Venita. This day Venita and I walked four miles and this is what I saw. My first picture is taken in what we call Deerland, approximately three miles from the center of Long Lake. My sister is beautiful both inside and out and I am amazed by her capacity for kindness and selflessness. I have learned so much from her throughout my life--how to be a sister, a friend, a spiritual person, etc. She has it down, and I bumble along and get better at it each year.
 Here I am at the town beach on my way home looking north at one of the airplanes taking off. It is not Tom's or Bob's so it is not a tourist plane that circles this beautiful land. If you haven't gone up yet, go. The view is breathtaking!
 Now, I am crossing the bridge and taking this picture facing south. This is the point jutting out into the lake where the magnificent Sagamore Hotel once stood. Sadly, they changed the name of the road to it from Sagmore Road to Owlshead Road further eliminating any trace of this historical icon. There is Mt Sabattis standing proudly in the background (no name change yet).
 I love this house and asked if I could take this picture. The house is always neat with new beautiful flowers every time I walk past. I love the porch. Imagine sitting there at dusk drinking a cup of coffee gazing down the lake at the view I took from the beach. Or, for us romantics, imagine sitting in a porch swing with your beau in the early evening cuddled up under a blanket gazing at the mirror slick water lapping along the shore.
 This is the "Adirondack" house I pass on my trek home. I love it as every time I go by I see something else I didn't see the first time! Louisa is very creative and has a shop next to Hoss's Country Corner called Incapaco Artisans where she teaches and sells beautiful art and amazing items she creates. Oh, and my books!
 Need a satellite dish anyone? This house always sports many a wonderous thing. I remember when this family moved here and only spoke French. He fixes everybody's stuff and probably has parts for just about any appliance or electronic dohingy one would need.
 Good Ole Kickerville Station. My shortcut store I go to for my newspapers and sweet attack in the late afternoons or early evenings. This is one of the coffee clans' morning stops and they sell big round cookies! Sandwiches too but big round cookies!
This is the sign leading to my little lane where my cabin sits proudly on a little hill. I love the name, "Kickerville." The name came from when the peddlers travelled to Long Lake. The peddlers named it "Kickerville" or "Gougeville" because the people living on the west side of the lake in this area drove a hard bargain complaining about the prices and the quality of the merchandise they had purchased. Cedarlands is a beautiful spot where the wealthy Walkers once lived and the unwealthy Gail once lived. I loved it there--surrounded by woods and a dirt road out. Wow, sounds like where I live in Virginia in winter.
This is my friend and walking partner's new house on the corner. I have been able to watch Skip and Joany plan, stress out, get excited, and work hard all their lives to have such a beautiful dream house. They are still doing finishing touches but what a nice addition to the community as you enter it from the Tupper Lake road. You did good guys!










"Home again, Finigan" as my mother always said.
Anybody know where that came from? My cozy cabin.
Kato was not happy that he didn't get to go today but
tomorrow is another day. Thank you for sharing my walk
with me. Until another day, ta da.

No comments:

Post a Comment