Thursday, March 12, 2015

Long Lake, Adirondack Heartland

Coming this summer. Something like this taken by Jim Swedberg below Buttermilk Falls last October.

I haven't blogged all winter because I am writing everyday on the book in order to get it out by summer. It is a daunting task, but I am at the point where the end is upon me. The first write is almost finished, so I will be going into lovely proofreading soon. I will find an excerpt to put in here, and maybe I can find a few moments now to write my blog every couple of weeks. It is light joyful writing because it doesn't require researching a book, a newspaper, a quote, or a magazine before writing it down. Love the freedom in not historic writing.

I am delighted at how many people have been helping me along the way with the history book.My photo guy, Guy, (no pun intended) laughingly, maybe, summed it up after months(years) of  bugging him about  a picture--his return email read here it is pain in the ass. Yes, that describes me to a T. However, in true Hilary fashion, along with that line was the picture cleaned up and blown up for me to use. He does amazing things with the pictures and is the town crier of emails--marriages, deaths, and stupid stuff that makes you laugh. Tom B. has resorted to probably not answering his telephone anymore because he knows it is me. My friend, Jeannie Cooney, answers hers knowing I'm probably calling for a favor like please go down to the monument and write the names of the Korean War Veterans because I forgot to while I was there. Then, call me so I can write them down. She fulfilled her task as always and still answers her telephone even seeing a 540 area code.  Edith Russell, Janet Parker, Doug Lamos, and Phil and John Joseph took my phone calls every time, even after they learned my telephone number. Nice people. Wonderful to talk to and full of knowledge. It has been so rewarding getting know these people and so many more to numerous to mention right here. As promised here is the small excerpt I promised.

Smoke held heavy in the crisp Adirondack air as the men and women hustled back to their homes. The little community was only ten years into this new century. Great grandchildren of the early explorers peppered the streets of the village. The boardinghouse formally operated by Mitchell Sabattis on the east shore of Long Lake on Deerland Road was now opened as a hotel called the Kanteena. It was enlarged to accommodate forty guests and catered to local men entering the military service during World War I.

No comments:

Post a Comment