|Judge Sullivan's Store and the two Long Lake bridges around 1918|
An excerpt from the book, Long Lake Adirondack Heartland.
As automobiles began to displace horse-drawn vehicles, Andrew Sullivan neatly bridged the gap by opening the town’s first automobile garage for repairs and storage. One side was the blacksmith shop and the other side the garage. Most folks were excited about the onset of the automobile; however, some were not. Riding the stagecoach over the precariously bumpy roads through the forest was a dangerous endeavor. People were sometimes thrown out, causing injury or death. Therefore, the new machines were generally safer though not always, and not on November 5, 1915. On that day, Willie Emerson made the decision to jump into one of these cars with two other men to go hunting.